Monday, June 1, 2009

Odd things in dieting: 1

People are sold appetite suppressants as though lowering calories was the ticket to weight loss.  One of the things that happens when you reign in your calorie intake is that you automatically lower your carbohydrate intake.  The result is a lower insulin level.  Insulin, as you may recall, is a storage hormone.  The less insulin floating around, the thinner you get.  Insulin is not evil.  It is something to be understood.  An appetite is not evil either.  But food that does not satiate is not (in my opinion) an effective food.  If you eat a reasonable quantity of food with an appropriate variety of nutrients you should be satisfied.  The body naturally regulates how much food it needs.  If, on the other hand, you eat a reasonable amount of a food and still find yourself ravenous or driven to continue eating, let me suggest that is not food.  What you have discovered is a narcotic which is ingested through the digestive system.  Real food satisfies.  Narcotics never really do.  

I have often been told by well meaning individuals that I would lose weight if I would lower my caloric intake to just 500 calories per day.  That tactic did not work for my grandmother.  As a matter of fact, I believe it destroyed her metabolism and that the recommended subsequent diet of low fat was her complete undoing.  I do not believe in a low fat diet anymore.  

Low fat foods do not satisfy me.  They tend to leave me with a stomach ache long before I am satisfied.  A mere 4 ounces of turkey, 1 cup of salad greens, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and drinking plenty of water spiked with lemon juice is satisfying for me.  For me, the protein and the olive oil are key components of my effective diet.


No comments: