Tuesday, June 2, 2009

AM Cardio is Key

I, for one, find the morning to be the best time of the day to workout.  It is key to keeping me in a fitness mode for the rest of the day.  I have a very small snack before my workout.  This morning it was just three Triscuits.  That is wheat.  I should have had a hard boiled egg.  I forgot.  This is a good time to put into practice one of Renee Stephen's techniques called the "Re-Do."   Its very effective and prevents self recrimination.  After my recent post about the adverse effects of stress and how that in turn effects insulin, you should already understand why it is terribly important to reduce stress both external and internal sources.  That includes learning to modify your behavior without degrading into calling yourself names or beating yourself up.  

In a recent tweet, Sandra Ahten brought up the concept of delayed gratification.  I use that concept to help propel myself throughout my day.  I use my morning breakfast and my carbohydrate (for me its a treat) post workout as my gratification.  I delay it until after my cardio.  I try to keep treats/carbohydrates to only immediately post cardio.  I have read that having one's carbohydrate post workout is important to replenish the glycogen stores in the muscle.  I have also read that tapering your carbohydrate intake throughout the day is an effective fat loss strategy.  I understand that idea comes from Venuto of the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle ebook.  I do not own a copy of that book.  I just heard about it on a forum.  I understand his book is really aimed at normal people and not at those with insulin resistance and PCO (aka easily developed muscle.)  Also, by keeping my cardio pre-breakfast I don't get into the situation of, oops I forgot!  or I feel too tired!  Cause, I know I'm not too tired when I wake up.  I am a morning person, this strategy works for me most of the time.  If I must workout in the evening, its not as pleasant.  I feel odd the whole day.  

No comments: