Friday, July 17, 2009

I've developed an aversion to ice cream

I think I have had the last scoop of ice cream for a long time.  Yes, I do get fat on ice cream.  No, I should not eat it.  Yes, ice cream has been a problem for me my entire life (ice cream binges as a preschooler.)  I have pretty much learned to be controlled in my ice cream intake.  But, yesterday, with a scoop of mint chip, I finally became ill.  Sick to my stomache, I realized that I really could not tolerate this food stuff.  Sigh, I love ice cream.  Perhaps a little too much.  Perhaps unreasonably.  Perhaps, I just didn't want to be right if loving it was wrong.  But, now, with the recent memory of illness that continued through the night, now I have a true aversion.  I don't eat foods that hurt me.  I just don't.  I don't eat processed meats anymore either, they make me have a nasty headache for about 12 hours that seems to be caused by the nitrates.  I don't eat that stuff no matter how much I loved the hot dogs, sausages, bacon, ham or salami.  No way in hell am I bashing my own head in with a bite of food.  

What kinds of foods are you eating that give you a headache?  Caffeine?  Sweets?  Or is it too little sleep?  Or a person in your life that causes more pain than the relationship is worth?  is it too little exercise?  Is it too little water?  How are you beating yourself up with the wrong diet?  Is there a food you have an allergy to that you still eat?  Is it inappropriately powerful over you?  I've decided that I don't want to think of food as entertainment more than once a week.  Most of the time, I need it to be attractive and tasty but it doesn't have to be the sole source of entertainment for me to be happy.  Healthy, whole, clean food can be equally enticing as the commercial modified, odd foods with odd preservatives in them, with the artificial dyes and flavors, and the msg, and the hydrogenated oils.  

I'm trying to shift my thinking about food.  I want to view it as fuel.  I have read that many successful folk view it that way.  Food serves as their fuel.  They select foods based on quality as though they were selecting an octane at the fuel pump.  When you open the refrigerator, or your lunch bag, or you have to select a meal at a restaurant, what octane do you choose?

So, if I need mint, I am now completely reduced to mint tea.  I have no choice really.  I don't want to indulge in Ande's mints because of the hydrogenated oils (listed on their ingredient list.)  I'm staying away from other treats too.  I don't care for Reese's peanut butter cups anymore because the peanut flavor is weakened by the amount of sugar.  I also find the chocolate to not be well, chocolaty.  

I am working towards cleaning up my diet.  My carb count is a little higher than some would recommend.  However, its all clean as of today.  Also, as of today, I'm not eating anything that I don't cook myself.  I have had it with worrying about what was at the restaurant?  How do I really know if I had something with nitrates?  I still have to go out for fish because I can't cook that at home (family member is allergic.)  Still, I see no harm in not eating out and just using my green cooler for eats.  I just need to work on good pack lunches with low carb ingredients.  I don't do well with just chugging olive oil.  That was a bit of a gag reflex.

I made chicken drumsticks this morning with fresh rosemary and lemon juice.  They are fabulous!  I wish you were here to try them.  The rose mary is from my garden.  I have been having lemon cravings lately, and luckily thats not something I have to give up when eating in a clean manner.  I am adding it to water and enjoying it very much on meats and salads.

I am also really enjoying stir frys with Asian style vegetables, a little soy sauce, plenty of cabbage and seasoned appropriately with sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and white pepper.  The advantage to a stir fry is that it is quick, can accommodate any ingredient, and is highly nutritious, not to mention a quick meal.  I don't use the rice that most people do, I just go for extra veggies.  Sometimes I will add pork, chicken or beef, but sometimes I skip it.  I love adding canned water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.  Both have some carbohydrate content, so do be aware of that if you must watch carbs.

I've signed up for the World Wide Festival of Races.  I registered for the 5k but I will be training for the 10k.  Its just that I've already trained for the 5k and now I'm ready to train for the 10k but I don't think I will be ready to run a race at a 10k mostly out of fear and embarrassment if I have to walk.  Silly, but true.



No comments: