Saturday, April 4, 2009

If you didn't have to share your fridge.

What would you buy?  What wouldn't you buy?

I would buy lots of fresh greens, avocados, cucumbers and apples.  I would buy grapefruit.  For me, I already buy these items and I do eat them.  I would buy plenty of chicken breast or frozen chicken tenders (no salt added.) I would buy ground turkey or chicken.  I would buy frozen green beans and canned tomatoes to make my version of chili.  I already do that.  I would buy eggs.  I would buy protein powder, coconut oil and steel cut oats.  I already do that.  I guess I already buy everything I do need after all.  

The trick for me is that I sometimes have allowed myself to buy something which was not really supportive of my fitness goals under the guise of its for someone else.  When in reality it was an excuse to have something not so good for me, like bread.  I wish there was some way to retrain myself to only see the healthy food options.  I have successfully weeded out HFCS and white bread.  I have successfully added plenty of water.  I have added plenty of cardio.  I am even doing some strength training.  I want to improve my attendance on my yoga matt.  I need to carve out the chips, fried chicken, and Joe Joe's as well as the akmak and the whole wheat french bread.  Its time to be strict.  

My body is so clever.  It will go into starvation mode if I diet/low cal/way low carb for more than two days.  As a result I have found calorie cycling to be more helpful.  However, eating clean really seems to work as well.  I love the whole wheat tortillas but I was not losing weight even when I only had a half of one with 1 ounce of cheese.  My body just recognized it as tasty and on me tasty often translates into fat retention.  The choices for me are becoming clearer now.  

Life is a beautiful thing.  I need to treat it with respect.  I need to treat myself with the respect I would show to someone else in my care because, after all, we are all in our own care anyway.




No comments: