Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pomegranate!

You know its fall when the pomegranates are on sale at the grocery store. I love them! But, man are they a messy thing to eat. Be sure to wear clothing that you can throw out when you eat them. I just stand in the kitchen at the counter so that I don't have to get it on anything thats not washable. It makes a tremendously dark blue/red dye that just doesn't seem to want to come out. Its that dye which carries the anthocyanin's, the antioxidants that make the pomegranate such a power house in the health dept. There are many juices that are available on the market now, and I understand that they are a short cut, but I prefer the fresh fruit itself. My Granddad used to have a pomegranate tree in the back yard, and we had them fresh when I was little. Now, I have to pay to play just like everybody else, and its so worth the price. Don't eat the pith, its bitter.

No comments: