Monday, October 26, 2009

My PCOS treatment plan, home style

Its been about 2 years since I began this journey. First, it was discovering that I was insulin resistant, had PCOS, then learning I had IBS, and now going gluten free. I have lost 80 pounds. I have improved my triglycerides, my blood pressure, menstrual health, and most of my symptoms are now tolerable. I have used western medicine to discover what the issues were and a combination of diet, exercise, and supplements to manage my health.

I have posted my diet/supplements before. I will do so again because over time I have added and modified my program to accommodate new data.

Whole foods Low Carbohydrate diet- as low as possible. I aim for 30-60 g. / day

Dietary considerations

Focus on:
Healthy fats coconut oil, olive oil, and real butter
Abundant in freshly prepared vegetables and low GI fruits
Protein including chicken, fish, grass fed beef and pork.

Avoid:
Almost all grains,
High GI fruits,
Soy and any other excessively estrogenic food.
Root vegetables (they are excessive in starch)
Nuts
Anything processed including meats, nitrites, trans fats, hydrogenated oils, cotton seed oil and MSG.
Protein powders and shakes.
I follow a gluten free diet.
Dairy is optional, if you have dairy only select organic because the lipid profile is different.
Antibiotics if you can avoid them, do so.
Sauces often hide a lot of starch, sugars, and unnecessary

Avoid anything that is a trigger food. I think of cheesy poufs as a gateway drug.

Avoid toxic people. Toxic thoughts. Toxic clutter. Toxic food. Stress releases a lot of hormones including insulin and cortisol.

Weigh/measure your food most of the time, this is the only true way to get an idea of how much carbohydrate and calories you are getting. I err on the side of more calories rather than less most of the time. A few days per week I will lower my calories, this is called calorie cycling and I do it to help my body stay in weight loss mode. It seems to work for me.

Keep a food journal. Its nice to see the trends of when you felt good versus when you felt bad. You can cross correlate (associate) when you felt good with what you ate most of the time. Also, if you are prone to SAD get a solar spectrum light for your bed room.

Exercise:
Cardio for insulin receptor health
Yoga for thyroid and cortisol control

Supplements:

Saw Palmetto- mildly improves my hirsuitism
Bilberry- improves pancreatic function, and treats interstitial cystitis
Evening Primrose Oil- Helps with my ability to tolerate weight loss without feeling like I was getting snapped with a rubber band.
Fish Oil- Helps with hunger pangs, blood pressure, heart disease, depression and reproductive system function
Horsetail- helps with the hair loss on the top of my head
Gymnema- Only used when needed in the event of over exposure to sugars (usually only when I'm out with friends.)
Probiotics- Helps with IBS symptoms
Triphala- Used for the IBS symptoms

No comments: